Dr. Grace Liu: Fixing the Gut Microbiome with Resistant Starch and Probiotics – #177
Here are some resources that I discussed or were related:
- Yacon syrup: beneficial effects on obesity and insulin resistance in humans. Inulin containing lowers body fat 33 lbs.
- Inulin-type fructans modulate intestinal Bifidobacterium species populations and decrease fecal short-chain fatty acids in obese women. Bifidobacteria longum significantly increased. Per author communication: Akkermansia increased too. BMI and insulin resistance all decreased significantly with inulin. Akkermansia and Bifidobacteria longum are associated with the lean core microbiota — we want these for longevity and disease-free lifestyles as well.
- RS2 animal studies may not translate well to human application Animal studies show significant body fat and weight loss; however 4 human studies fail to replicate any improvements
- Cultivable and pyrosequenced fecal microflora in centenarians and young subjects. High Bifidobacteria longum is extraordinarily characteristic in centenarians and corresponds with super low opportunistic gut growths.
- RS2-HAM high dosage 18% appears to lower important immunoprotective (human) core species: Bifidobacteria longum (but not animal ones), Roseburia cluster XIVa and F. prausnitzii Bifidobacteria longum appears to get starved and suppressed it seems per the authors’ observations at high dosage RS2 18% and 36%. RS2 HAM does selectively feed good gut flora but these same populations also feed happily off starches, RS3 and inulin as well.
- In autoimmune, autism/spectrum, arthritis, IBS, IBD, GERD/heartburn and other inflammatory conditions, the RS2-eaters may predominate in a dysbiotic gut. Paleo guts often have these microbial ‘signatures’ I have noticed.
- My body fat burning ‘bionic fiber’= INULIN + AC (version B)
- Roseburia/XIVa protects and reverses peanut food allergies in recent animal model
- Akkermansia is a key gut player for leanness and insulin sensitivity
- Bifidobacteria longum in human studies improves many health parameters (anxiety, high cholesterol, low HDL, high triglycerides, gut dysbiosis, fungal infections, IBD, IBS, GERD/heartburn, diabetes, obesity, metabolic disorders) including also significantly the gut inflammation related to gluten/gliadin.